[lug] smime_keys init fails silently

Andrew Diederich andrewdied at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 17:01:38 MDT 2008

Every few years I have to setup a new mutt install from scratch.
Everything has gone well so far, minus smime configuration.
"smime_keys init" doesn't create any ~/.smime directory or
subdirectories, and fails silently.  Unsurprisingly, add_p12 fails,
but noiser.

As far as I can tell from the smime_keys perl code, it queries mutt to
see what the smime_keys, smime_certificates, and smime_ca_location are
so it knows where to make the directories for init.  As far as I can
tell I've set the correct variables in .muttrc:
set smime_ca_location=~/.smime/ca-bundle.crt
set smime_certificates=~/.smime/certificates
set smime_keys=~/.smime/keys

and they come back when I query them with mutt -Q:
$ mutt -Q smime_certificates
smime_certificates="~/.smime/certificates"

I've thrown various debug print statements in the smime_keys perl
script, and it is tracking the various directories correctly, the dang
thing just doesn't _do_ anything.

Has anyone else had smime_keys just give up the ghost?

--
Andrew Diederich