[lug] The original Debian announcement

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Aug 19 19:17:46 MDT 2008

Saw a note that Debian is 15 years old as of 16 August 1993, and was
thinking about the goals of the project when it started:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.development/msg/a32d4e2ef3bcdcc6

Please note, I'm a Debian FAN.  I'm not slamming it as part of some
childish distro-war mentality.

I'm just looking over the project's founding goals versus where it's at
today, and commenting on what I see.

Ian Murdock's original announcement with comments:

----------

What will make this release better than SLS?  This:

1) Debian will be sleeker and slimmer.  No more multiple binaries and
manpages.

*** That didn't work out so well, did it?  20,000 packages and climbing.

2) Debian will contain the most up-to-date of everything.  The system
will be easy to keep up-to-date with a 'upgrading' script in the base
system which will allow complete integration of upgrade packages.

*** Up-to-date, nope.  In fact, Debian has become one of the slowest
distros to upgrade packages, and has culturalized the process to say it
creates a better quality end-result.  Interesting that is NOT what the
original founder wanted, I think.  Easy to upgrade, yes... they got that
one nailed compared to most distros when packages don't make major
architecture changes.  (Which happens, so often that ... maybe "ease of
upgrades" is a failure after all, but not really Debian's fault.)

3) Debian will contain a installation procedure that doesn't need to be
babysat; simply install the basedisk, copy the distribution disks to the
harddrive, answer some question about what packages you want or don't
want installed, and let the machine install the release while you do
more interesting things.

*** Hmm.  Yes or no?  The number of questions has grown so much that it
sure FEELS like I'm still babysitting the installer.  The topic of how
to FULLY automate Debian installations comes up often on their "-user"
mailing list and the best ways seem to be a separate project called
"FAI" or the various imaging tools available today.  So, MAYBE Debian
met it's original goal but... It doesn't feel like it.

4) Debian will contain a system setup procedure that will attempt to
setup and configure everything from fstab to Xconfig.

*** Kinda.  The setup can't keep up with the complexity of the large
packages, though -- try REALLY configuring Apache or X from only the
Debian setup tools... no way.  dpkg-reconfigure... helps MOST packages
gain a bit of initial setup sanity, but after that you're a babe in the
woods.

5) Debian will contain a menu system that WORKS... menu-driven package
installation and upgrading utility, menu-driven system setup,
menu-driven help system, and menu-driven system administration.

*** Hmm, package installation was dselect back then, and aptitude now,
and dpkg under the hood now... so okay we'll give 'em that one.
Menu-driven system setup?  Not after install.  See above.  Menu-driven
system admin?  Not a chance on a system doing anything really
important/useful with large packages/systems.  There's no "menu" to see
  how your Tomcat server is doing, and never will be.  Not an impossible
goal, but not likely to ever work correctly either.  (Someone could
mention something like Webmin here and I'll barf... plus Webmin isn't a
Debian-specific project.)

6) Debian will make Linux easier for users who don't have access to the
Internet.  Currently, users are stuck with whatever comes with SLS.
Non-Internet users will have the option of receiving periodic upgrade
packages to apply to their system.  They will also have the option of
selecting from a huge library of additional packages that will not be
included in the base system.  This library will contain packages like
the S3 X-server, nethack and Seyon; basically packages that you and I
can ftp but non-netters cannot access.

*** Hmm, considering the history -- okay yes, packages were offered of
things that were ONLY available online back then.  But if the goal was
to CONTINUE to offer a system that could be kept reasonably updated via
off-line packages... that one has to get a failing grade.  The packages
are far too big, and updating from a CD or similar these days would be
an enormous pain in the ***.  Both because it's not a priority anymore,
and also because security packages come out as fast as I change
underwear these days, thanks to crappy coding practices that haven't
been somehow dealt with in 15 years, I don't think this one matters too
much anymore.  But, honestly it doesn't matter because if you're not
connected to a network, most security packages are not needed anyway...
unless you've got users that need to be smacked around a bit (local root
exploits), and you probably know where they live, anyway.  Drive over
and beat them with a stick.

7) Debian will be extensively documented (more than just a few READMEs).

*** Uhh, maybe a passing grade here.  Lots of documentation, little
focus on whether any of it is useful or up-to-date.  The web has turned
into the "documentation of choice" for almost everything, but I will
admit that Debian's /usr/share/doc directory usually contains a lot more
useful information than some other distros.  I wouldn't call it a
shining example of the best software documentation I'd ever seen, but
it's "passable", maybe.  Depends on the package and the maintainer.  No
consistency.

8) As I put together Debian, I am keeping a meticulous record of where I
got everything.  This will allow the end-user to not only know where to
get the source, but whether or not the most recent version is a part of
Debian.  This record will help to keep the Debian release as up-to-date
as possible.

*** Seems like a revamp of #2 in many ways, but it's kinda interesting
that 15 years ago, "distros" didn't document where they got things from
upstream.  Amazing considering the mess we're all in re: Licenses
nowadays, isn't it?

9) Lots more, but I'll detail later...

*** A common theme in life.  Translation:  "I just ran out of time
and/or energy."

:-)

---------

So... what do you guys/gals think?  The original goals of the project?

A+?  C-?  F?  What's the grade?

You guys have seen my comments about "quality vs. quantity" lately in
regards to Linux... did Debian stray away from Ian's original intent?

Further comment; thoughts -- the current "Social Contact" is here:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract

Also I found it telling and/or sad, that not a single named person is
listed as being a part of the Quality Assurance team within the
organization:

http://www.debian.org/intro/organization

Interesting stuff... looking back 15 years... isn't it?

Nate