[lug] Videocard / Xorg question

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Sep 4 08:27:22 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 00:44 -0600, John Dollison wrote:

> So I don't know if the problem was fixed by updating from the "i810"
> to the "Intel" driver, or by forcing X to redetect my hardware and
> select the correct monitor, but either way, it's working now.  Woo
> hoo!

The i810 is the old driver and hasn't been updated for some time.  The
intel driver is the new driver (see http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/)
and works well with XRandR.  I use it to manually enable/disable the
external monitor on my Acer laptop, though the intel chips always make
the external monitor screen 0 which moves the desktop panel from the LCD
to the external monitor.

Anyway, the intel driver works quite well on my i915 chipset, which is
older.  It is said to work quite well on newer (950 and later) chips.
FYI - you can tell what chipset the video is by running lspci and
looking for the video controller.  Mine looks like this:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org