[lug] Networking problem DSL modem

gordon.golding@colorado.edu gordongoldin at aim.com
Thu Sep 11 12:58:58 MDT 2008

So - many good thoughts:

Sorry - IP is 192.168.1.1 for DSL router ( or is it .0.1 ??  - hmmm, no
brain cells).  I'm pretty sure that it just has the one address ( ie -
4 addresses, network, gateway, my PC, broadcast).  They had to replace
it at one point, so I don't remember the make/model, will get that at
home.

1) >>>> Even if one machine is turned off, it may still be responding.
I think both machines have ""network power on" - so the ethernet cards
must stay live and are probably fighting over the one available address.

2)>>>Some ISPs will restrict your modem to only server addresses to one
MAC
address.  It might react badly to you switching PCs unless you are
also MAC spoofing.

3)  >>>SOHO networking can be a real mess.  To add a bit to the
confusion, I
suspect he already has a NAT router, since he claims to be getting .1
and .2 addresses, which (I'm guessing here) are 192.168.x or 10.x.  If
this is the case, he should be able to simply widen the mask and maybe
the DHCP pool on the existing router, assuming his ISP didn't cripple
it or lock him out.

This is a Great thought - they have to buy "on the market" stuff.
Maybe I can reconfigure what they sent to have a bigger pool.