[lug] USB wireless

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 20:22:44 MDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:37 PM, gordon.golding at colorado.edu
<gordongoldin at aim.com> wrote:

> I thought I posted this before but then didn't see it....   %-{
>
> I have a bunch of PCs I need to set up for wireless.  It seems SOOOOO much
> easier to buy those little USB wireless plug-ins.
>
> Does anybody have comments?  In a low-signal environment are they useless?
>  How much worse than the cards with antennae?

Sensitivity of these devices seems to vary widely.  In my experience,
one of the best I've used is an older model by Hawking Technologies,
the HWU54G.  The ones I have use a zydas chip.  It consistently gets a
high signal reading, whereas the integrated Atheros in my thinkpad is
the opposite.  I often plug in the Hawking adapter when I have signal
problems with the Atheros.

http://www.networkwarehouse.com/hawking_mini_wireless_g_usb_5185_prd1.htm

Can also be found through Amazon.

--