[lug] ElectionAudits software - help audit the election!

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Mon Oct 27 13:53:37 MDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:05:48AM -0600, Bruce Raup wrote:
> Related to this, I recently learned about an interesting new company
> that has developed a voting system that combines paper-and-pen voting
> with a Linux-based system to record and count the votes automatically.
>  One of the people involved tells me that the software (written in
> Java) would be (or is?) open-source.
>
> http://www.securevote.us/

Indeed, open-source software would help increase transparency.  But it
wouldn't avoid the need for audits.  Even hand-counted elections need
someone to confirm that the subtotals add up to the total, and
spot-checks on the counts are needed, besides the accounting for
ballots themselves which is always very important.

An interesting open-source prototype software system for electronic
voting machines is http://pvote.org/

A very different approch is http://punchscan.org - but most voters
would be very confused....

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/