[lug] Speaking of VPNs

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Nov 11 15:52:34 MST 2008

karl horlen wrote:
> Can anyone recommend one that just works and is fairly well
> documented?
>
> 1) Server is RH or Ubuntu based and clients are windows based.  I'm
> assuming that the linux clients won't be an issue if you have a linux
> based server.

I think openvpn is the standard for this.  It's very easy.

The other "industry standard" is IPSEC.  I think the Linux tools should
be better than they were but it isn't simple.

> 2) A reliable linux based vpn client (redhat or ubuntu) that needs to
> talk to a MS based server that has already been configured by a
> workplace IT department.

What protocol?  MS used to be PPTP.  There are howtos for that but I
never got it to work.  Anymore would it be IPSEC?  That isn't easy but
should be doable.  The trick will be getting config info from the server
admins.

Dave