[lug] Accessing FC5 drive on new FC9 install

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Nov 19 17:03:17 MST 2008

Patrick Mullen wrote:
> Anyway, both my old (FC5) and new (FC9) drives were part of VolGroup00
> but my old drive did not have any LogVol as far as I could tell.  And
> I didn't have VolGroup01 as it seems that person had.  So, after much
> ado, I eventually removed my old FC5 partition from VolGroup00 and
> added it to VolGroup01.  But I'm still unable to access it.

I think you're out of luck.

Why do you think there was any data on the old drive?  ("part of
VolGroup00" argues that it was a PV.  "did not have any LogVol" means no
data.)

More likely you used to have FC5 on a partition on /dev/sdb.  You
converted that partition to LVM and can't get your data.  Possibly your
partition table is close to what it was, or can be reconstructed.  But
if you've made the partition into a PV, rather than a file system,
you'll also have to reconstruct the file system.  That might be possible
if you can find a spare superblock.

So how did you come to have both drives in the same VG?  Was FC5 there
before or after that point?

Dave