[lug] Accessing FC5 drive on new FC9 install

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Nov 19 14:39:09 MST 2008

Patrick Mullen wrote:
> So, have I trashed the system?  Can I create a logical volume on
> /dev/sdb2 of the same size as before and regain my data?  I do not

Maybe.  But at this point if you have any data on that drive that you
really want you should really consider:

   Doing a full disc image copy of the disc so that you can recover in case
   you damage it.

   Seriously consider getting a better backup system in place so that you
   aren't in this position again.

So, you can try creating a new volume group using that PV and you might be
able to recover your data from it.  I've never had to do that (I have good
backups), so I don't have any experience with having to do that.

In theory if you create the LVM with the exact same parameters you could
get access to it again.  However, if it were me I'd be restoring off
backups now.

Sean