[lug] WiFi Radios v. Alternatives

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Thu Nov 20 16:56:12 MST 2008

"
My father suddenly expressed a keen interest in connecting to the internet after decades of resisting to learn how to type enough to get email. Even his WWII buddies use maps.google and email but so far, not him.

He is suddenly interested in the internet because he discovered www.king.org 's  new special opera channel that apparently broadcasts Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung nonstop (is any suprise he named me "Siegfried"?)

He has an old PC that he uses to play a special non-standard compressed CD that contains the entire 15 hours of Ring of the Nibelung on a single CD plus an animated orchesteral score and lyrics so you can follow along while you listen. This has given him endless joy over the last 10 years.

But now he wants to listen to the Ring of the Nibelung on the internet broadcast as well.

I assume his computer is too old to accommodate a WiFi card. The computer is 10-12 years old.

I was debating whether to try to get him a newer used computer that would accommodate a WiFi card or just buy a $200-$350 WiFi radio for Christmas. They seem kinda expensive considering a hobbiest can load linux on a  $100 linksys wireless router and convert it into a WiFi radio with some soldering.  Running a wire from the router to his present antique computer in the kitchen might be kinda challenging.

Anybody have any opinions?

Thanks,
Siegfried (AKA the dragon slayer)