[lug] linux and digital photography

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 18:54:13 MST 2008

Folks,
another bunch of questions about digital photography, now more On
Topic with our mailing list.

Is there anybody who is seriously using linux for digital photography?
If so, can you please describe your software stack? Here is mine:

0) I don't bother to connect the camera to the computer, but use the
1) card-reader and related kernel modules (it works out of the box
with ubuntu on all the 4 hw I tried)
2) gimp (at least now that I shot in jpeg, anybody knows about the
proprietary raws?)
3) picasa for linux (which actually is just picasa for windows wrapped
by wine from the vendor) - I know about other alternatives, but don't
like them very much
4) I print on Windows Vista, I'm the guy whose printer (an Epson R280)
prints stripes when used from linux (it works perfectly from Vista).
Note that this is the first time I'm using windows on one of my
computers since 1997, so it really bothers me

I am not using color profiles (my windows is 640x480, so they would be
almost useless), but if I were able to print from linux, I would like
to use them. I googled and see that something exists for linux, but is
anybody actually using them in a daily basis?

I am interested to know if anybody was able to do what we guessed as
possible during our last meeting, namely loading the apple/mac drivers
into CUPS under linux.

Last, but not least, are our meeting filmed just for fun, or are they
published on youtube? If so, why aren't the video URLs linked from
http://lug.boulder.co.us/meetings.html and neither posted onlist?

Thank!
;Davide
PS: the Panny FX37 I mentioned in the other post is really great!