[lug] Current RedHat info needed

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Dec 17 17:22:50 MST 2008

Hugh Brown wrote:
> Kenneth D Weinert wrote:
>>
>> I'm not a RH user and I just downloaded an evaluation package for work
>> that's set up to run on Linux.
>>
>> The file name includes rh72-gcc34 and I presume that means it's for
>> RedHat 7.2 and compiled with gcc 3.4.

Yep, they're releasing code to build on relatively "ancient" versions of
Linux.  Be careful to see if they're really a viable company or if they
are really committed to Linux, if you're seeing versions that old.

Often when you see that, it's just so they can check the checkbox
"available on Linux" on a Request for Proposal.

> So releases between rh7.2 and RHEL 5.2 are:
>
> 7.2 7.3 8.0 9
> RHEL 2.1, 3, 4, 5
>
> with the RHEL 3,4,5 all having multiple minor releases.

"Red Hat Linux" was discontinued in 2004, with the last release (9.0) in
early 2003.

The Fedora Legacy project maintained backports of security patches and
other updates for RHL until 2007, when they closed up shop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

I don't think that vendor is serious about supporting Linux, unless
you've just missed newer versions built for "RHEL" (Red Hat Enterprise
Linux -- the most popular "business" Linux distro, due to its long/slow
release cycles) or even Ubuntu's long-release-cycle version for servers.

Be careful.

Nate