[lug] What would you like to know about Asterisk?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:11:14 MST 2008

> - use with existing voip providers like Vonage, etc. whats new with Skype

As you will see from my questions, I never used Asterisk and I have
very basic questions.
I frequently use skype for oversea videocalls and I do not like it at
all, but I do know of any other option (the only other one that I know
is Ekiga, but is unusable for daily usage)

a) does Asterisk work ok on the internet or does it require full
control of the network to configure all the proxies, firewall, etc
placed by (at least) the two ISP involved? Does it use some of the
"tricks" skype uses?

b) I've seen that there is some video support for Asterisk, but from
what I read the video support seems cripple. Do you have experience
with it?

c) conferencing (and video-conferencing) as already mentioned by others.

Thanks,
;Dav