[lug] What would you like to know about Asterisk?

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 12:07:27 MST 2008

Mike,

Ted Logan will be videotaping it.  Ted can tell you where it'll be posted.

Is there a CSLUG?  Just curious.

If so, perhaps you could persuade Sean to come down there to speak, too.  I
think he's a very good speaker and always has interesting things to say.

You could offer to take him to Marie's, in Manitou, for dinner as a bribe.
The downstairs has a good assortment of wine flights and fondues, at
reasonable prices, and you don't need reservations to get in.

If there isn't a CSLUG, perhaps you and Ken Farmer should start one. :-)

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Michael J. Hammel <
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 15:12 -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > Next month I'm going to be talking at BLUG about Asterisk.  In order to
> > tune the talk to the audience, I'd like to hear what kinds of things the
> > list members would like to hear about.
>
> Being in the 'Springs I can never make it to BLUG, so if possible could
> you record or transcribe the meeting and post it to the web site?
> Personally, I'd like to know if I could use Asterisk as a filtering
> system on our land lines at home.  I'd like to be able to either disable
> the phones at certain times or pick up the phone when it recognizes the
> incoming number and play an "out of service" tone.  This is to try and
> prevent a collection agency from annoying us (they've got the wrong guy
> but haven't taken us off their automated calling system).
>
> Also, what kind of off the shelf PC hardware works with this?  The
> Asterisk site lists Digium's harware but I was wondering if simply modem
> cards would suffice for the simplest configurations.
>
> If I can figure out how to use it at home I might consider taking into
> work to extend the services we have there.  A loooong time ago I worked
> for Nortel programming PBXs, but that was a looooooong time ago and I
> was much younger....
>
> --
> Michael J. Hammel
> mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org