[lug] RE: LUG Digest, Vol 62, Issue 13

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Dec 18 12:52:51 MST 2008

philburt stortsky wrote:
> Is there a hardware  compatibility list for linux that list all the
> currently supported hardware that i could download and pring?
> I'd like to print out such a list so i can check the list while i'm at a
> store rather than trying to check something online and then
> back to the store to buy what works.  currently i'm specifically
> interested in wifi and video cards.  I'd also like to know if any
> of the digital tv recievers are compatible.  I'm currently using open
> suse but i plan to try other distro's as well once i'm more
> familiar with linux.  eventually i plan to work on drivers. thanks.

Unfortunately projects to keep updated hardware lists are by their
nature, distro-specific, since most distros have something CLOSE to the
stock kernel code in them, but none are exactly the stock Linux kernel.

The best way to find out is to Google for someone else using the
hardware, and/or try it, really...

That or start spelunking in kernel code, which is ridiculous for a
modern OS.  The documentation is there in the source packages for most
distros, but I wouldn't call it "easy for the average user to find", and
it's written from a developer standpoint usually, not an end-user
"ready" document.

Nate