[lug] OT, Functional Languages

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jan 28 18:48:33 MST 2009

It seems like for the 20+ years I've been around computers and reading trade pubs, etc... that there's always someone saying things like this about every language, every few years.  Pascal was supposed to make a "big comeback" too.

Erlang is interesting, and there was some very well done research showing that you can build some damn-near bug-free systems (that actually got built) that fail very gracefully with it -- but that same research group (at Ericsson) was all crap-canned due to Ericsson deciding that strategically they "weren't pursuing their core competencies" by creating a language and studying it.  They "cost-cut" the group off at the neck.

Meanwhile, their product that ran on Erlang has an incredibly low error rate, and always did.  Oops.  Bad management on that one, methinks.  But they probably disagree.

I can't speak to Lisp or Haskell, but we all know emacs never dies... and it's written in lisp... but it's also got that "aura of excellence" just because RMS worked heavily on it 20 years ago.  LOL!  The magic touch of a guy with lots of interesting ideas who doesn't hold a day job...

No wonder he has time to type all those "L)ots of I)nfuriating S)ets of P)arenthesis."  Heck, he even used the language to create a text editor that would type them FOR him.  Talk about recursive!

The programmer herds seem to meander (or thunder some years... Java anyone?) back and forth between languages, but it never stops... wait a year or two and they'll be all but forgotten again...

Seems like the trick for young or new programmers is to catch the right wave, get a job, and then just keep learning languages as their company execs read about the "latest hot language" in their trade rags.

And there's always a few openings everywhere for good Assembly programmers, it seems.  Low-level is sometimes where it's at...

Still glad I'm not a programmer,
Nate