[lug] OT, Functional Languages

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Thu Jan 29 07:04:51 MST 2009

The following is my own experience ... YMMV

I've used Haskell and Lisp, both many years ago, and the
hype from the functional people is always the same - these
languages are going to take over real soon now.

The Haskell community seems to be particularly enthusiastic.
I have to say it is a beautiful language, but complex
and difficult.  It was designed by a large committee who
apparently couldn't say "no" to any feature.
Perhaps the Haskell enthusiasm comes partly from having
mastered such a hard to use tool.

The difficulty with functional languages is they have no real
representation of state.  Try writing a file or updating a
database in Haskell.  They can do it but the mental and
programming machinery to do so are amazingly convoluted.

I think the functional languages will continue to be used
in niche markets, but for most programming we'll continue
to use languages that handle state changes better.

Steve