[lug] (Sort of OT) Serial Thermometer

Landon Cox landon at 360vl.com
Thu Jan 29 12:03:30 MST 2009

I'm sure you saw this since you said you checked with SparkFun, but
maybe it's overkill for you since it's more than just temperature:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8311

I connected it serially (TTL) to an XBee and do XBee<->XBee comm with
a Linux box.   It works either way, USB or TTL serial.   It's insalled
outside so I embedded it in a Hammond enclosure with the lid facing
down and made holes in the lid with a screen to keep bugs out and let
ambient air in.   It's solar powered also.  There are some pictures of
it here:

http://gallery.me.com/landoncox#100041&bgcolor=black&view=grid

I've been using this board to export temperature data to CWOP for a
long time:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW9779&last=120

The wind data in that CWOP link is coming from another micro with
firmware I wrote...an open source project called OSCirrus:
http://oscirrus.see-do.org

but the temp and humidity is coming from the Sparkfun board.

Landon