[lug] Linux Certification

Jeff Falgout jtfalgout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:29:28 MST 2009

Eddie -

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Eddie Kovsky <edkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Linux certification
> programs. Do they have any weight with employers? Have you learned anything
> through a certification course you wouldn't have picked up on your own?
>
> I'm looking at the Ubuntu/LPI Certification, but it seems like its focused
> solely on book knowledge. Also, the top certifications are still incomplete.
>
> http://lpi.org/eng/certification
>
> Red Hat certification is much more hands on, but holy cow is it expensive.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/certification/
>
> Any thoughts on the return on investment for getting certified?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Eddie Kovsky

I took the Red Hat classes for RH 7.3 and RHEL 4 and the RHCE for
both. The classes we're expensive (but in line with other corporate
training). I learned so much more than I could from a book or google.
One of the things I go back to from those classes is rescue of a
severely crippled system. I've been a professional Linux SA for over 8
years and the Red Hat classes are some of the best I've taken. I
haven't dealt with RH for several years (Suse now) but most of the
concepts carry over to most distro's. If you can get your employer to
pony up the $$ - I'd go with the Red Hat classes.

Good Luck,

Jeff