[lug] Linux on Intel Atom?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Apr 11 13:38:54 MDT 2009

Paul E Condon wrote:
> these, and is it likely that it has adequate CPU to run email, text

You say that like a 1.6GHz Atom is a wimpy little processor.  It's actually
pretty damn good.  I have a couple of the 1.8GHz dual-core Atoms that
mostly run Folding at Home, and each of those machines turns in about as many
points per day as a Playstation 3.

They aren't running Folding at the moment because they're still being
shipped back from Chicago where they were the routers for 900 attendees at
PyCon...

I have one of the Eee 901s, and the CPU is definitely plenty powerful.  The
real downside of the 901 is the SSD, it's *VERY* slow.  That's the thing
that will make the system feel slow.  Otherwise, it runs Ubuntu 8.10 with
no problems, though I did have to install a custom kernel for it to support
the wireless.  There's a place with a repository for the kernel package,
search the net and it's pretty easy to find.

> editing, etc. ? The display card on the thing says it uses Intel Atom
> chip, and has 1GB RAM and 160GB HD. Price is $350. Is this a "cheap
> laptop" as was being discussed a few days ago?

The normal HD in that should do much better than the SSD in mine.

Sean