[lug] Linux on Intel Atom?

Soleblaze solelist at skyshadows.net
Sat Apr 11 16:36:19 MDT 2009

Paul E Condon wrote:
> I saw the Acer 10.1 inch Netbook for sale at Costco yesterday. It looks
> like a neat little package for travel. But I haven't touched Windows
> for years, and don't intend to renew what little skill I ever had with
> it. So, is there any prospect for being able to load Linux onto one of
> these, and is it likely that it has adequate CPU to run email, text
> editing, etc. ? The display card on the thing says it uses Intel Atom
> chip, and has 1GB RAM and 160GB HD. Price is $350. Is this a "cheap
> laptop" as was being discussed a few days ago?

I would say the only real negative about a netbook is it's graphic
card.  There's still some issues with the intel drivers and the GMA945,
although it's looking to get a lot better.  I'd say Ubuntu 9.10 should
have all the issues that I've seen worked out.

You'll also see a lot of different options and everyone likes a
different model.  I had the Aspire One (8.9" netbook) and really liked
the keyboard.  I currently use a dell mini 9, due to it's slightly
smaller size and lack of fans.  I got mine from the outlet store.
Dell's outlet has a one day coupon (*9N7HJN70G$5DC7) *for 15% off a Dell
Mini.  I'd avoid the 10 and 12, since they use the GMA500 graphic
chipset..which has some really odd Linux driver issues atm.

Are you looking for something really small, or a 10"?  And how much
battery life do you want?  the MSI Wind U115 is getting some pretty
crazy battery life, but I'm not sure how much it costs and when/where
it'll be available