[lug] network scanner with sane & ubuntu

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Sat Apr 18 23:01:52 MDT 2009

Bear Giles wrote:
> I finally set up the GF's HP printer/scanner.  Getting the printer up
> under cups wasn't a problem, but xsane isn't seeing the scanner.  The
> network print server (a d-link 1260) does see that the device is a scanner.
Have you installed the hplip package? Thats what supports HP multifunction
printers on the network.

My experience has been that what you want to do isn't likely to work. The
HP driver uses its own protocol to do the scanning. It also uses
SNMP to get status and to control the printer that I have (HP LJ 3155 which
includes an HP print server). I never did get scanning directly from a
client on the network to operate. I had to hook the scanner to an older
laptop via USB and use saned on the machine.

The D-link isn't likely to understand the HP scanning protocol so the
chances of scanning working through it are not good.

Some of the more intelligent network equipped printers have IPP support.
Sometimes such printers will support a type of IPP request that will
trigger a basic scan over the network. You'd have to look in the docs.