[lug] network scanner with sane & ubuntu

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Apr 19 13:01:30 MDT 2009

Lee Woodworth wrote:
> My experience has been that what you want to do isn't likely to work. The

Agreed.  Searching on google for people scanning with SANE using that print
server might help, but chances seem slim.  Even though the DLink knows that
it's a scanner that doesn't mean that it knows how to scan using it.

My experience with writing scanner drivers in the (admittedly distant)
past is that the vendors have very little respect for standards.
They design the hardware to work with their software and since they're
writing the software they don't really have to follow any standards...

Anyway, I *CAN* say it's possible to get remote scanning working.  We have
some HP printers with built-in print server, and they work very nicely
doing the scanning via SANE.  But these use the built-in HP network
interface, so there's no worry about an impedance mis-match with a
third-party device between there.

The down side is that these printers were not cheap.  It seems like the
cheapest (at the time we were looking) you could get an HP printer with
their network interface was around $500.  The "network capable" printers
started at $300 and required a $200 add-on to get the networking...

Sean