[lug] Ubuntu users: request for topics for articles

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Jun 8 21:24:08 MDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 17:19 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> What's the right way to control start-up?  Ubuntu doesn't use sys-V
> init.  I understand sys-V init.  How do I use the new Ubuntu start up
> scripts?  How do I make something start?  How do I disable a service?
> How do I add a new service?  etc.

Hmm.  Sounds like they switched to upstart, something Fedora has already
done.  I'm still not that clear on the proper way to use them, though
Fedora still uses "service" and "chkconfig" to work with the init
scripts.  I'll add this to the list.
--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org