[lug] libc backwards compatibility?

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Thu Jun 18 14:05:53 MDT 2009

I have some software compiled against the libc-2.4 shared library on a
SuSE 10 system, which we would like to run on RedHat 5.3, which uses
libc-2.5.

The software appears to work based on initial tests (which includes
only "does it start up?"), however my impression was that running
software compiled for one version of libc with a different version is
a "Bad Thing (tm)" and should be avoided....however my knowledge on
the subject is purely anecdotal. (the actual link is to "libc.so.6")

Anyone have any documentation or experience on what compatibility
issues we might encounter?

As a potential workaround, it occurred to me, why not just copy over
the SuSE libc-2.4.so library and put it in a location listed in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Would this be a viable alternative if 2.5 is likely
to cause problems?

Thanks,

--David