[lug] libc backwards compatibility?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 14:24:40 MDT 2009

Hi

> Anyone have any documentation or experience on what compatibility
> issues we might encounter?
Cannot say anything about it, sorry.

> As a potential workaround, it occurred to me, why not just copy over
> the SuSE libc-2.4.so library and put it in a location listed in the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Would this be a viable alternative if 2.5 is likely
> to cause problems?
Besides obvious problems (e.g. possible other dependencies) and also
obvious precautions (e.g. change LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a wrapper script
calling your app, do not your dotfile!) it would be a viable
alternative.
If you google for "LD_LIBRARY_PATH bad" you will find lot of stuff
like this: http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/_/ldpath.html (I think
this one is for solaris, but the essence is the same for linux), which
will suggest possible alternatives, but if you are careful
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is *not* bad.

Bye,
;Dav