[lug] Ethernet Enabled PLC/Linux Microcontroller

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Jul 31 16:13:05 MDT 2009

Swavek Skret wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I am looking at possibly many of these and for various hardware devices.
> I am also looking at some alternatives for NMS protocols that might sit
> on each of these devices to provide feedback, view, redundancy, etc. I
> will check if TS-7400 has SNMP on it (probably not, I guess).
>
> And you are right, an additional investment at front might help to carry
> long way later (updates, maintenance, etc.)
> Thanks,
> Swavek

It doesn't sound like a job for Linux to me. It sounds like a job for an
8-bit PIC with an "IP Stack" that consists of only the ability to send
very simple UDP packets. I suppose it might also have to receive if it
needs to be able to turn the device on and off.

--
Zan Lynx
zlynx at acm.org

"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."