[lug] OT: Colocation Providers

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Mon Aug 17 15:35:24 MDT 2009

Sean,

I looked at Fortrust. They're actually selling shared cabinet space. 4U for
$199 per month. I was really impressed with their facility. I was going to
sign with them, but then I balked at the contract. They have a clause that
requires a rather large insurance policy, with an endorsement making them a
beneficiary, and along with that, you have to get the insurance provider to
provide some sort of legal waiver. It was just ridiculous to have that kind
of requirement for placing a 1U server.

I also pointed out an error in their contract to their benefit and they got
kind of argumentative and said I didn't understand it. I came away with the
feeling that they weren't taking me seriously. My wife was a little freaked
out by the location too. She pictures me going there at 1:00 AM on a Sunday
morning and wigs out. They have the nice big fortress like fence and gate in
the front, but the customers come in through the side by the rail-road
tracks...

Between those things I decided not to go there.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585