[lug] init script that won't run stop() under F11

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Sep 29 23:05:35 MDT 2009

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Is that just a RH thing or do other distros rely on that too?  Do other
> distros even have a /var/lock/subsys?  I want to make this script
> functional on the more popular distros.

Since that's a RH thing it probably doesn't come with the upstream
sources.  So you could look at some RH SRPMs and see how they put their
init scripts together.  Then you could compare to Debian.

Debian seems to be working on revamping the init process, though they
don't seem to have settled on upstart.  So you might see some
interesting ideas in how the packagers are supporting both during the
transition.

Dave