[lug] can't make this stuff up, folks... My 2 lines of code, errr, I mean, my 2 cents....

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 14:40:14 MDT 2009

You still need deep tests on critical code but as you implied you can focus on the things where it really matters.

This particular thread is too entertaining to not add:

Often unit tests and other tests are more important just to make sure the programmers are thinking correctly. Writing tests can be time-consuming and difficult, and the first thing it does is make the programmer think about what is going on. Sometimes it seems so simple when we sit down and write code, but then when we sit to write a test, it suddenly becomes clear if there was something we had not thought of. Unit tests are as much for the wetware as they are for the software. A favorite unit test of mine is to see if I can put good comments in the code...in this case the unit being tested is me.

Dan Stimits, stimits AT comcast.net