[lug] NAS recommendations?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 14:58:13 MDT 2009

I too use USB-mounted drives and rsync (without delete) and no NAS.
I like the ones in 2.5" form factor without external power supply
(they draw power from the USB port). They cost a little more than the
3.5" with external  supply (and maybe they are slower? I didn't check)
but they are MUCH more convenient to move around.
On old laptops they might not be able to "suck" enough power and they
wouldn't turn on - this might be a deal breaker if that's your most
common usage, but for a once-in-a-while you can workaround "sucking"
power from another machine, since these drives usually have Y USB
cable (see http://www.bixnet.com/5vps2powercord.html to understand
what I mean). I'll bet it's not the most safe electrical connection
(do it at your own risk) but it worked flawlessly for me.
Bye,
;Dav