[lug] NAS recommendations?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Oct 26 23:11:21 MDT 2009

Paul E Condon wrote:
> A related comment on using USB for backup. Use rsync to update the backup,
> but not with --delete. Instead look at --link-dest=XXX, e.g.
>
> The prior backup is in file structure rooted in XXX/ on the USB.

If you're going to keep multiple backups I'd use rdiff-backup rather
than rsync.  It's the same idea but it's easier to see how much space is
used and delete old copies.  It seems likely that it also takes less
space since it only copies changed blocks of files (rsync copies whole
files that have changed).

Dave