[lug] can't make this stuff up, folks...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Oct 29 17:53:38 MDT 2009

Let's change the vehicle, and see if the perception of "proper
design" changes.  No other changes in your statements:

If an aircraft breaks down in flight, it is considered a flaw in
the design, and is fixed, while maintaining the ability to fly
via redundant systems (in the vast majority of cases).

If an untrained/badly trained pilot crashes the airplane, studies
are done on how to fix it that not only lead to changes in
training, but also in legal requirements and other laws regarding
flight training.

If people destroy a plane in-flight, people study how to make
that not happen again.

The only difference here is how "in control" we THINK we are in
each activity.  We "let stuff slide" with cars far too much.  Bad
drivers kill people, but we place the priority on testing car
EMISSIONS harder than we test DRIVER SKILLS.  Stupid is as stupid
does!

So, the point still stands.  As computers get used for "critical
phases of life/flight", today we DEFINITELY let way too much
slide in computing.  All because the average user THINKS they're
in control of their computer.

(Also to continue your hypothetical: If a computer IN the car
caused the brakes to lock up solid, and led to your hypothetical
driver crashing, that would also definitely be investigated and
recalls would happen.)
It's all about priorities.
--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:29 -0600, "Stephen Queen"