[lug] Droid dev without a droid?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Nov 18 23:21:16 MST 2009

On 11/15/2009 04:27 PM, Jeffrey Haemer wrote:
> The simulator and sdk stand alone.
> I have written and run hello world, but don't know how to put it on a phone
> yet.

If you have a dev phone, you pretty much just plug it in and click "Run" in
Eclipse and it copies it to the phone and runs.  When we first started
developing for Android we ran into some confusion where we had been using
the simulator and running some examples and then it stopped working.  We
then realized we had plugged the phone in around the time it stopped
working, and Eclipse had switched to running the app on the phone instead
if in the simulator.

Newer SDKs are better about presenting you the choice.

But, to answer the question, yes it is possible to develop a polished
application without having a phone, but some things will be harder
obviously.  If you are trying to develop an augmented reality application
that uses the GPS, accelerometer, and live camera view, it may be very
difficult to really feel what it will be like.

But, something like "ipcalc" is totally possible to develop on the
simulator.

Jeffrey: To run the app on a non-dev phone, install "E Strong", there's a
file manager by that name.  Mount the phone up as a USB device, copy the
APK file to the phone, unmount it and disconnect it from the computer, then
go into E Strong file manager and click on the apk file.  It'll install and
off you go.

Alternately, sign the package, publish it on the marketplace, and then
install it on the phone from the market.  :-)

Sean