[lug] Commuting by bike with a laptop

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 12 11:07:46 MST 2010

> The problem with squishy seats is that they conform to your
> butt, and
> that cuts off circulation.  With the harder seats you
> sit on your
> sitbones alone, allowing circulation to continue more or
> less normally.
> To some extent I think it comes down to ride duration -
> squishy seats
> are probably better for a short ride, but if you're putting
> in big miles
> they will be dispensers of misery.  It can be tough to
> find a seat that
> works for you, but nowadays there are many more that work
> well. I like
> the specialized seats.  At the specialized dealers
> they have an
> 'assometer' that can measure what width of saddle you ought
> to have.
> Too narrow and you are not sitting on your sitbones
> anymore, a
> suboptimal situation.

something about going to the bike shop and putting my ass up to an assometer just doesn't "sit" right ;).  i feel more sorry for the assometrist though that has to do the measuring :)

it sounds like it might be a very useful tool though.

thanks for the seat width / sit bone explanation.  it makes sense and probably explains why my seat hurts. it's too narrow.  maybe too long too.

> Gotta agree on the messenger bags - it seems like the main
> reason to
> have a messenger bag is to have fast access to the bag
> contents, without
> having to remove the bag from your shoulder.

agreed