[lug] auto discard mails from specific users using Evolution

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jan 19 21:02:28 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 20:10 -0700, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 19:28 -0700, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> You are overlooking that "Move to Folder" is a drop down box wherein you
> will find a "Delete" action instead of "Move to Folder".

I saw that.  But Delete doesn't actually remove the message from Inbox
(unless "Hide Deleted Messages" is set).  The message just gets a line
marked through the From/Subject in the message list.  So I was looking
for some way that I wouldn't see the messages at all.

Then again I might only *think* that's what delete does.  Maybe it
actually does what its supposed to but my rules were so mucked up it
didn't actually work.  Anyway, I just assumed Delete only marked it as
deleted instead of also applying "Empty Trash" to remove it from the
inbox because when I hit the Delete button that's what happens - it gets
marked as Deleted but then I have to use File->Empty Trash to get rid of
it.

> There are some other nice actions in there as well to forward to others,
> set colors, status and even pipe to other programs.  I didn't think pipe
> would be there but this IS Linux and unlike a Mac or Windows GUI mail
> reader we're not going to leave procmail behind without pulling in most
> of its features :-)

Maybe I can redirect it to /dev/null to get rid of it!  I noticed "Set
Status" has a "Deleted".  I wonder how that differs from the Delete
action.

Again, thanks for the info.
--
Michael J. Hammel