[lug] Credit - was: [Letting folks pay from the web.]

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Feb 3 08:47:56 MST 2010

Don't forget that ATMs usually dole out only Yuppie Foodstamps ($20) and
many businesses won't accept any bill larger than that.  I remember when
"breaking a $20" was a big deal but now it's in nearly every transaction --
see YF and the tendency of many people to just grab a $20 out of our wallet
and stuff the change in our pocket.  The perception of holding up the line
when getting exact change, or even just the right combination of $5s and
$1s, doesn't help.

In that environment a CC is much more practical than carrying around a thick
wad of 20s.

BTW I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen ATMs start passing out $50s.
Small dollar stores (e.g. convenience stores) might still want to avoid them
due to the risk of loss and risk of robbery, but grocery stores and big box
stores routinely have sales where $50s would be appropriate.

The only explanation I've been able to come up with is that there's such a
huge incentive to keep people from realizing how much they're spending by
using cash, vs. a quick swipe + signature, that there's been an immense
emergent property to keep it from happening.