[lug] Laptop with external screen?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Mar 16 09:13:28 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 06:21 -0600, Rob Nagler wrote:
> I just got a laptop running Centos 5.4.  I want to run it dual-headed
> when I'm at my desk, and just with the builtin screen when I'm out and
> about.  Xinerama does fine, but it doesn't detect that the external
> display isn't there.  This is a known "bug".  While I've seen
> solutions where I can reboot to fix this problem, this is annoying.
>
> Anybody know of a solution to this problem?

Depends on the video driver, but have you tried xrandr to set the
displays?  It's manual, but if you're driver supports it then you just
run it during or after X has started.  I used to do this with my laptop
though GNOME now supports a GUI interface for doing this for my Acer
Aspire (Intel graphics chips).

I know Intel video drivers support xrandr.  I think nVidia does. Not
sure about ATI.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org