[lug] Laptop with external screen?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 09:14:53 MDT 2010

> On 03/16/2010 08:13 AM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> >  (with the VGA cable, I
> > haven't tried an hot-pug to the docking station)
>
> Be interesting to know if it still works through the docking station as
> that's how I add my second monitor.

Let me be clear: the double monitor does work properly with the
docking station (both clone screens or extended). But I have always
docked/undocked with the machine on. Since it works for the VGA cable,
I don't see any "linux" (can linux be an adjective?) reasons why it
shouldn't work with the docking station.
I haven't tested to dock/undock with the machine on, because the
instructions of the docking station try to scare you, saying that you
can dock/undock safely with the machine on, only when a certain piece
of proprietary software running under windows says so. This software
also try to lock the undock button. Thus, I'm not eager to try, also
because I don't need it: the docking station is in my office and I
turn the machine on/off in the morning/evening when I arrive/leave,
possibly bringing/taking the laptop in/out. If your docking station is
more friendly to hotplugs, you might try yourself using a live CD or
live USB (if your machine has a CD reader or an USB port that's
available when docked: mine has none).

The VGA cable thing is more useful for seminars and talks, when a
reboot would definitely be annoying, and more "safe" from an hw point
of view, so I tested, it works, and I use it often.

Bye,
;Dav