[lug] CentOS 5.4 NFS Install Problems

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 19:11:49 MDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM, David Ahern <dsahern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/29/2010 12:47 AM, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
>> I'm trying to do an install of CentOS 5.4 booting off a local media and
>> then attempting to use an nfs directory to source the installation
>> files.  I can't seem to make it work with CentOS politely telling me it
>> can't mount the specified directory.
>>

>> Anyone have suggestions?
>>

> It definitely works. Right now I use just such a setup almost daily (NFS
> server running FC-12 and NFS kickstart of RHEL5.4).
>
> If you have /etc/exports setup properly, SELinux in permissive mode
> (setenforce permissive) and iptables stopped (FC by default likes to
> reject all incoming requests but ssh) then take a look at syslog files
> and alt-f3/f4 data from kickstart side.

NFS has versions 2,3,4. Your advanced Fedora setup probably defaults to 4.

You can try the following (/etc/fstab format) or set the options in a
mount command.

            server:/export /mnt nfs  nfsvers=2,proto=udp 0 0

Also, NFS by default uses random ports. I don't remember the exact
format, but there are 4 settings in /etc/sysconfig/nfs, XXX=4000, etc.
We use 4000-4004 on systems at work. That probably doesn't matter if
you have stopped selinux and firewalls on both sides. Also be sure
that portmap is started or you won't get anywhere.

HTH,

--
Collins Richey