[lug] Laptop recommendations for Linux?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Apr 16 08:39:44 MDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 22:43 -0600, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> 2) Any opinions of Asus, Acer, etc?  I've been avoiding Dell and Gateway
> for historical reasons and despite having a beloved six year old HP, I
> find their current trackpads awful.

I've had an Acer Aspire laptop for the past 5 years and love it.  It's
starting to heat up underneath (I leave it running 24/7 so I can access
it from work) so my wife got me one of those laptop cooler pads for it.
Other than that, it's worked fine.  The only thing it has that I never
checked if it worked are a modem and bluetooth.  5 years ago wireless on
it was a problem.  These days, it works just fine with NetworkManager at
any coffee shop.

I avoid Dell out of principle.  Worked for them once.  Not a nice
company.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>