[lug] getting sendmail (outgoing only) to work

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Apr 23 10:17:25 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 10:07 -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> we have a few laptops in our shop running RedHat workstation 5.5 in some cases
> and CentOS 5.4 in others.  We're doing some client development and they want
> to have certian scripts send out an email, however sendmail is not working on
> our laptops. I only want it to work for outgoing emails, anyone know what I
> need to configure/tweak to get sendmail to work for outgoing mail?

Sendmail is excellent for store-and-forward processing but I always
considered sendmail to be overkill when simply sending mail though an
ISP from home, so I found a sendmail replacement for outbound-only
email: ssmtp.

See http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/132006

If you can't find ssmtp on the net, there is a copy on my server:
http://www.graphics-muse.org/source/ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz

The beauty of this is that if you set ssmtp to replace sendmail then
suddenly you start getting system mail you didn't know was being
generated - like LogWatch.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org