[lug] FS: O'Reilly "LPIC In A Nutshell"

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon May 10 13:15:48 MDT 2010

On 5/10/2010 1:02 PM, David L. Willson wrote:
> 97-99% of the computing world is Windows, and it's going to stay that
> way for a long while, no matter what. Things will change faster, if we
> do all we can to make the road to OS Freedom as easy to travel as
> possible. That means integrating, or at least being prepared to
> integrate, into Microsoft networks. If I were me in your position, I
> would learn the basics of Samba and take the darn test, thereby doing
> my part to ease the fears of those that claim that there's not enough
> good, high-level support available for Linux to seriously consider a
> migration.

I have no problem learning it, and eventually taking the test again... I
just have reservations about having it on a Linux test.  I've done it
maybe ten times in 15 years of watching Linux make money for plenty of
businesses, and never on a production server.  (Windows filesharing is
virtually NEVER allowed in the DMZ where the Linux boxes typically
live... the ones that make money, anyway!  GRIN...)

I typed more, but it's not worth debating.  The test is what it is: weak
in the marketplace.  Haven't seen any hiring requirements that say it's
any more than "desired", never "required".  I have seen RHCE a "must
have" for jobs, though.

Nate