[lug] Decoding partial IP addresses

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue May 18 17:05:37 MDT 2010

whois command is your friend.  Assuming the IPs have been properly
SWIP'ed to the sub-owners, etc.

Ask any old-school Unix admin and you'll learn another trick... although
it's not usually the first or best option...

Turn OFF access, and if someone REALLY needed it, they'll call screaming
and hollering.  :-)

Sometimes you find old crufty access rules lying around, quietly turn
them off, and find that no one has used them in years, or even cares
anymore... thus, making your security better...

It's usually best to actually figure out what the access was granted for
in the first place, and re-analyze it.  After you get COMPLETE control
over your ACL's, and if the company culture is well-educated and
understands security ... it'd be best to document all special access
like that, somewhere centralized.

Nate