[lug] WirelessN

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 21 10:00:12 MDT 2010

On 5/21/2010 9:49 AM, Stephen Queen wrote:
> Is this not fast enough for streaming video?

Quickie hit and run answer: "Streaming Video" ... since I work in
Videoconferencing...

What resolution and framerate?

Resolution X Framerate = bandwidth... kinda... leaving out that with
most modern compression CODECs, motion in the frame utilizes far more
bandwidth than a static picture.  :-)

I laugh when I hear the term "HD quality" these days.  "HD" specifies a
beeeejillion combinations of resolutions and framerates...

A full "real" broadcast HD signal at the high end of the
choose-your-own-adventure resolutions and framerates is about 14 Mb/s.
Most vendors are pushing you something between 4 Mb/s and 8 Mb/s to your
HDTV and calling it "HD".

Cable, satellite, they all do this, of course... the only "true" HD is
over-the-air.

And in the videoconferencing world, 4 Mb/s is generally where "HD" tops
out at... very high compression rates.  But most folks are sitting in a
static room, with a static background, and no motion... so it comes out
looking just about as good as your average NFL football game,
resolution-wise.

But if someone stands up and starts doing jumping jacks, you see the low
framerate utilized to get it there.  Or, you can select "motion" based
algorythm/CODEC settings and drop down the resolution...

My favorite tech support calls are newbies to videoconferencing who are
complaining that the quality sucks... and when you call them you see a
giant maple tree out their window with every leaf moving in the wind.......

"Could you close the blinds and turn on some lights?  Yeah, there ya
go!... see how the framerate increased?"

Nate