[lug] Anyone else hate to get rid of old equipment?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Sat May 22 15:00:12 MDT 2010

Kenneth:

> Amazing what you find when you hit the dusty corners of the closet.

I agree!  I was cleaning out my office closet this morning and found the
stack of fifteen desktop PC's I've been storing there for years.
They're new in box; they were literally being thrown out by a company a
few years back because the company never used them and was upgrading
everything.  So I grabbed them.

The downside?  They're all Pentium 166MHz processors with 16MB of RAM.
No ethernet port, no CD-ROM, no USB.  Ahh, those were the days.

I hate to toss them because technically they work.  I thought about
dropping $10 network cards in them, putting them all together in a
cluster, and doing... something.  It's the "something" that has me
stumped.  A cluster of fifteen of these guys is probably still way less
power than the SFF desktop PC I'm using to write this email.

I sound like a crusty old man... :)

Jeff