[lug] Anyone else hate to get rid of old equipment?

Kenneth D Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Sat May 22 15:31:52 MDT 2010

On 05/22/2010 03:00 PM, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Kenneth:
>
>> Amazing what you find when you hit the dusty corners of the closet.
>
> I agree!  I was cleaning out my office closet this morning and found the
> stack of fifteen desktop PC's I've been storing there for years.
> They're new in box; they were literally being thrown out by a company a
> few years back because the company never used them and was upgrading
> everything.  So I grabbed them.
>
> The downside?  They're all Pentium 166MHz processors with 16MB of RAM.
> No ethernet port, no CD-ROM, no USB.  Ahh, those were the days.
>
> I hate to toss them because technically they work.  I thought about
> dropping $10 network cards in them, putting them all together in a
> cluster, and doing... something.  It's the "something" that has me
> stumped.  A cluster of fifteen of these guys is probably still way less
> power than the SFF desktop PC I'm using to write this email.
>
> I sound like a crusty old man... :)

That's why I have 4 old sun boxes as well. I was going to make a
cluster, just never got around to it.

Some folks advertised on Craigslist that they'd take computer equipment
in any condition as they are fixing up and giving to people that need
them. Not sure if yours would fit their needs, but it'd be worth asking.

********

We will take it all, please let us know when a good time would be to
come and get it all!

Thanks so much for your email and your generosity!
Give us a shout at 303 428 1543

Judy and Dennis

********

I've got several non-working ones and a bunch of stuff like video cards
and a motherboard or two that I'm throwing in as well, just to get rid
of it.

--
Ken Weinert

I'm a Denver-based programmer looking for full-time employment. I have
20 years experience in C, C++, and Linux. My resume can be found on my
LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ken-weinert/2/922/791
Let me know how I can help your business succeed.