[lug] Anyone else hate to get rid of old equipment?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed May 26 14:34:44 MDT 2010

You have to be skeptical about 'skepticism', if that makes sense.  Ask a
question once and it's reasonable to expect an answer.  Ask the same
question for the third time even after two separate in-depth reviews have
cleared the researcher?  That's harassment, pure and simple.  That's why
Hawaii has passed a law specifically to deal with all of the tea baggers
wanting copies of Obama's "real" birth certificate - there were so many
requests that it kept them from doing real work.

Same thing with access to data.  Work should be transparent but it can be
turned into a weapon.  E.g., would the person be satisified with anything
short of high-resolution tiff images of the tree cores, available via a
thick data pipe within hours of them being collected?

Some of the other points are even worse.  How many people have been
'discredited' by the facts and their own ability to learn something.  E.g.,
ask any compsci person if they've ever had to deal with somebody furious at
their inability to grasp that, yes, it is possible to always compress
arbitrary data.  (No it's not.  It's called the pidgeonhole principle.  Look
it up.)  It seems like a lot of people have decided that listening to Rush
for a few weeks is comparable, no better than, spending years of study at
graduate school.