[lug] NFS-mounted home directories

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Fri Jun 18 15:38:18 MDT 2010

Vince:

> I'd be grateful for comments about the .Xauthority file, or any other
> problems we might encounter when mounting home directories via NFS.

This is definitely something to consider.  Some programs use lock files
to prevent data corruption.  X11 is an example; I've also seen it in
Google Chrome, KMail and Akregator (mail and RSS reader in KDE).

I suspect entire window managers like KDE and Gnome also use locks and
sockets to maintain state and configuration settings; I can imagine
when you make changes to your personal configuration (say, your desktop
wallpaper) it might be written to a file when you logout of the window
manager but before then it's stored in RAM.  So if I change my
wallpaper on Machine A and then slide over to Machine B I won't see the
change.  And if I logout of A it'll write the change, but then when I
logout of B later it will be undone because B didn't know I changed the
wallpaper.  (This is just a guess, but hopefully you see what I mean.)

I personally use NFS mounts of /home for all of the computers in my
house-- each family member has their own account, so no matter which
computer they're using they have the same environment.  It's definitely
awesome.  But I've seen problems logging into the same account from
multiple machines simultaneously, so you should definitely be cautious
of it (and perhaps encourage your users to logout of A before logging
into B).

As an added note, I agree with other comments that cross-mounting dozens
of /home/username directories is fraught with peril.  It would be much
better to have a single master server with all of /home.
Administration, backup, management, and troubleshooting would be SO
much more efficient.

$0.02,
Jeff