[lug] NFS-mounted home directories

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jun 18 17:20:33 MDT 2010

Vince Dean wrote:
> There also is an obvious risk: if the machine hosting a home directory
> goes down, the user loses access his home directory on all the machines.
> So far, we've chosen to accept that risk. But I'm concerned about less
> obvious problems.

If, by "goes down", you mean "get's rebooted", that should be manageable.  If you mean "crashes and
has to be fixed" then you're talking about disaster recovery and hopefully you have a deliberate,
acceptable plan that will bring the home directory back quickly enough.  If not, maybe you have
other things to worry about before NFS.

Dave